Tuesday, March 1, 2011

About me

I have never been a skinny Minnie. I have quite a bit of muscle (surprisingly!) so even at 20 pounds above my goal weight, I may not lose any more...we'll see how that goes!

I was married before to a WONDERFUL man. We had 2 kids, my son is now 20 and my daughter is 13. In 2000, my husband passed away very unexpectedly. At that time we lived in Michigan by his family. so suddenly I was a single Mom with 2 grieving kids and trying to stay strong for them, his family(who was NO support to me!), trying to keep up with my job, having to get another job to be able to keep a roof over our heads and it got to be WAYYYYY too much for me. So I broke down bawling one day, called my Dad in ND and told him I needed to come home. I needed to be around people that supported me and my kids and have a chance at being happy again. He understood completely since he lost my Mom when I was a year old, so 2 weeks later, he came over with the pick up and a U-Haul and we came back home. I got an apartment 45 minutes away from my parents, had my family around me, my friends around me and felt like life was starting to turn around.

I met a VERY wonderful man in 2002 and eventually introduced him to my kids. We got married 4 years ago.

So now, I just passed the 40 year old mark and really looked in the mirror a week ago and started bawling!! I HATED what I saw, had no clue how my husband could love someone like me.

I have always been an emotional eater! Stressed..eat, happy...eat, sad...eat...you get the idea.

When my husband passed away, I lost all control of anything to do with food. I have gained almost 80 pounds. NOT happy about this, but trying to re-learn that I DON'T have to turn to food for support! My husband keeps telling me I'm beautiful, he loves me no matter how much I weigh...blah, blah, blah...and I do love the support from him! TRULY! But I have the mind frame of, "how can I believe him when I feel so badly about myself?"

SO!! That's what made me realize I have to do something about this. I have a beautiful 3 month old grandson, my gorgeous kids and my beautiful soon to be daughter in law. My amazing husband is right beside me on this road and I couldn't be happier to have him beside me on this journey. As hard as it may be.

I'm not going to sit and cry over it anymore, I'm not going to sit on the couch with my comfort foods and pretend everything will be ok! It's OK to have my emotions, but it's NOT ok to comfort them with food! It's time to find new ways to deal with life. It will be a hard change for me after this long, but maybe an old dog CAN be taught new tricks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment